By Carl Keith Greene / Staff Writer
Jeffrey Sweeney and Freddy Couch were charged in two separate murder indictments by the Laurel County grand jury Friday.
Sweeney, 46, of London, was charged that on March 29 he committed murder by “wantonly and manifesting extreme indifference to human life.”
He was also charged with first-degree robbery, tampering with physical evidence and first-degree arson.
He was charged with the murder of Teresa A. White, 50, of Newby Lane off Waterworks Road west of London.
White died in a fire in her trailer on Newby Lane after Sweeney had reportedly visited earlier.
A second person is also wanted in connection with the death.
Sweeney was arrested on May 28 by Kentucky State Police.
Couch, 56, of Laurel Road was arrested about 10 a.m. Friday, June 1.
He was charged with the April 29 beating of Kenneth Vincent and thereby causing his death.
According to a report from Laurel County Sheriff Detective Charles Loomis, Vincent and Couch got into an altercation following an argument shortly after midnight.
Vincent reportedly had a knife during the altercation. Couch scuffled with him and was apparently able to overpower him, Loomis said.
• Jesse Ray Terry, 37, of Williamsburg, second-degree forgery, theft of identity and first-degree persistent felony offender (PFO).
• Barbara Sands, 43, Versie Partain, 47, Melinda Partain, 21, and Amy Partain, 24, all of London, theft by unlawful taking of the value of $500 but less than $10,000, theft of identity, first-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and program assistance fraud.
• Haston Philpot Jr., 52, of Tazewell, Tenn., theft by unlawful taking of $10,000 or more and first-degree criminal mischief.
• Gregory L. Jackson, 30, of Walker, three counts theft by unlawful taking between $500 to $10,000, two counts of theft by unlawful taking less than $500, driving a vehicle without a license and failing to wear a seatbelt.
• Steven L. Robinson, 35, of London, receiving stolen property between $500 to $10,000 and second-degree PFO.
• Jeffrey Root, 36, of Corbin receiving stolen property of $500 to $10,000, public intoxication and first degree PFO.
• Bradley Garrett, 43, and Robbie Garrett, 42, of Manchester, recieving property worth $500 to $10,000 and receiving property less than $500. Bradley Garrett possession of drug paraphernalia and second-degree PFO.
• William R. Thompson, 71, of Lily, ten counts of first-degree sexual abuse.
• Michael Couch, 42, London, eight counts of first-degre sexual abuse and eight counts of first-degree sodomy.
• Jeremiah L. Moore, 20, of London, making methamphetamine and first-degree possession of a controlled substance.
An indictment is a formal charge by a grand jury and is not a conviction or an admission of guilt.
Two Laurel Co. men face murder charges
- Local News
Man, girlfriend indicted for escape charges
A Corbin man and his girlfriend facing escape charges were indicted in Whitley County Circuit Court before Judge Paul K. Winchester Monday.
TODAY'S HEADLINES - MAY 21, 2013
Jailer ‘subverted’ Open Records Act
Man faces 33-count indictment
Husband, wife indicted for robbery
Man, girlfriend indicted for escape charges
London man indicted for sexually-related crimes
Two indicted for armed robberies
Two people facing charges in connection with several area armed robberies were indicted in Laurel County Circuit Court Friday.
Theft, drug charges among indictments
Three arrests warrants were issued by Judge Tom Jensen Friday for defendants listed on a four-count indictment.
Man arrested for trying to hire killer on Topix
A Corbin man was arrested Thursday by Kentucky State Police after he used the Internet website Topix to solicit a killer.
Whayne Supply to throw anniversary party Saturday
The staff of Whayne Supply’s branch office in Corbin have a party to plan, and they have been working on the finishing touches since Thursday.
Tentative court date set for former school director
A tentative court date has been set in the case against former Laurel County Schools director of pupil personnel Charles Douglas Phelps.
Couple appears in court for sexual abuse of a minor charges
A Laurel County couple appeared in Laurel County Circuit Court Friday for a pretrial conference — and the only result was a status hearing set for June 21.
Arrest warrant active on man indicted for ankle shooting
A status hearing in Laurel County Circuit Court Friday left an arrest warrant active on a man indicted for shooting his girlfriend in the ankle.
10-year-old found safe
A 10-year-old autistic child was found safe Friday afternoon, and the child’s parents received misdemeanor citations as a result.
- More Local News Headlines
- Man, girlfriend indicted for escape charges