By Chris Parsons
The Corbin Lady Redhounds tennis team had a busy weekend, playing three matches since Friday and finishing with a 2-1 mark in the three.
Corbin swept Bell County 11-0 Friday, but split Saturday’s contests, dropping a 3-2 match to Lexington Christian Academy and knocking off Mercer County, 5-0.
The Lady Redhounds swept singles in Friday’s singles action with Catherine Crawford, Caroline Reedy, Emma Kate Carloftis, Emma McGraw, Casie McBurney, Emily Morton and Sarah Gibbs all winning their matches.
Saturday, the Lady Redhounds dropped two of three matches with Sydney Ledington falling to Hope Frazier (6-4 and 2-6, 1), while Catherine Crawford fell to Hannah Harris (6-3 and 6-2). Caroline Reedy picked up the lone win against LCA for the Lady Redhounds.
Corbin swept past Mercer County Saturday as well, with Ledington (6-1 and 6-1) and Catherine Crawford (6-4 and 6-3) both grabbing singles wins.
The Lady Redhound swept through doubles play as well to complete the 5-0 win over the Lady Titans.
Afterward, Corbin head coach Donnie Head said he was pleaded with his team’s effort during all three matches.
“In the Bell County match, we got to play a lot of young players and they played well,” Head said. “Lexington Catholic is a really strong team, ranked sixth in the state, and had a chance to seal the victory at our number 1 singles in the tie-breaker, but it was not to be, but for us, our team is just as strong and deep as any in the state.
“Mercer County is a three-time regional champ, but we were just too strong and deep for them,” he added. “Sydney played much better in the Mercer County match and just blew the girl off the court.”
Corbin will be back in action today against Harlan at home.
Corbin 11, Bell Co. 0
1. (C) C. Crawford def. Lauren Hensley 6-1,6-4
2. (C) C. Reedy def. C. Brock 8-1
3. (C) Emma Kate Carloftis def. Robbins 8-1
4. (C) Emma McGraw def. Epperson 8-0
5. (C) Casie McBurney def. Saylor 8-4
6. (C) Emily Morton def. Russell 8-2
7. (C) Sarah Gibbs def. H. Hensley 8-0
1. (C) J. Jewell/EK Carloftis def. Hensley/Brock 6-2, 6-0
2. (C) J. Crawford/M. Beecham def Robbins/Epperson 8-2
3. (C) EJ Carloftis/Cora Stevens def Saylor/Russell 8-1
4. (C) S. Gibbs/ E. Morton def. H. Hensley/G. Adkins 8-0
Corbin 2, LCA 3
1. (C) Sydney Ledington loses Hope Frazier 6-4,2-6,1(5)
2, (C) Catherine Crawford loses Hannah Harris 6-3,6-2
3. (C) Caroline Reedy def. Meredith Macy 6-1,3-6, 1(7)
1. (C) Jewell/EK Carloftis loses Eden/Sither 6-4,6-0
2. (C) J. Crawford/Beecham def. Branha/Parks 6-2,6-1
Corbin 5, Mercer Co. 0
1. (C) Ledington def. Erin Pigmon 6-1,6-1
2. (C) C. Crawford def. Catheryne Claunch 6-4,6-3
1. (C) Jewell/Reedy def. Ingram/Murray 6-1,6-3
2. (C) J. Crawford/EK Carloftis def. Long/Green 6-3,6-0
3. (C) EJ Carloftis/Beecham def. Crouell/Thompson 6-0,6-0
By Chris Parsons
- Local Sports
Hyde leads the way
South Laurel senior Amber Hyde usually never swings at high pitches, but it was a good thing she did during the sixth inning of the 50th District championship game Wednesday.
Martin tosses a jewel
CORBIN — It didn’t come easy, but the South Laurel Cardinals completed a three-peat Wednesday with a 3-1 win over Corbin, earning their third straight 50th District Championship.
The Lynn Camp Wildcat basketball program is searching for a new coach after Clyde Dixon decided to retire after three years as head coach in his second stint coaching the Wildcats.
13th Region rumors may excite, but seldom turn out to be true
It seems like high school basketball season just ended, but actually it’s been two months since the round ball has been tossed up in the 13th Region.
The Williamsburg Yellow Jackets are a perfect example of the saying ‘It’s not how you start, but how you finish that matters.’
Williamsburg will graduate six seniors
The Williamsburg Lady Yellow Jackets' season came to an end following Monday's 10-0 loss to South Laurel in the 50th District Tournament, giving the team a 7-20 record on the year.
Twice as Nice
With a 6-3 win over the Clay County Tigers, the North Laurel Jaguars became back-to-back 49th District Champions on Monday night.
Corbin’s Kevin Goins has come to be known as Mr. Reliable on the pitcher’s mound this season and Monday wasn’t any different for the junior hurler.
Eight is Enough
The North Laurel Lady Jaguars captured their eighth straight 49th District Championship on Monday night with an 8-1 win over the Clay County Lady Tigers.
Cardinals breeze by Williamsburg in 10-0 win
The South Laurel Cardinals came into Monday’s game with one goal in mind and head coach Wynn Harris wasn’t about to let his team forget about it.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- Hyde leads the way