By Jeff Noble / Staff Writer
A Whitley County man and his two pet bulldogs were looking for a place to stay Friday night, after a fire that afternoon did extensive interior damage and destroyed the rental house where they lived.
The fire began at 3:33 p.m. at the one-story structure on 28 Sycamore Street in Woodbine, just off Route 6. C.J. McVey and the dogs lived in the house, which was owned by Glenn Bolton, who lives down the street in the neighborhood.
McVey was not home at the time of the fire, but his dogs were. He had left the house moments earlier to get a bite to eat, and when he returned, he noticed smoke. He then ran to his neighbor for help and a friend called 9-1-1, while McVey went in to get his dogs and other belongings out of the house.
The Woodbine Fire Department responded to the scene in minutes and put out the fire, which Fire Chief Rick Fore said was accidental.
No one was injured in the blaze. Both of McVey’s pets, English Bulldogs named “Bella” and “Ryu,” are safe.
“I went over to pick up a pizza, then came back, walked in, saw smoke and thought, ‘That isn’t right.’ Then I walked around the side of the house and there was more smoke. Ungodly smoke. I got my neighbor and his friend called 9-1-1, and I went inside to get my dogs, some pictures, my four MMA cage fighting belts, my guitars and some other things,” McVey said after the fire was under control.
While Chief Fore said the fire was accidental, he went on to say the probable cause began with what was caught in a trap.
“The man who lived in the house had two glue traps in the kitchen to catch mice, and he caught a small rat. He reached to get the rat out of the trap, and when he reached to get the rat out, he picked up the electrical cord going to the cook stove, which arced when it hit the gas line. In turn, he goes and calls his dad on what he needs to do. His dad told him to kill the main breaker, which he did.”
One neighbor saw the fire engulf the side of the structure were the double doors and porch were located.
“The main electric wire was on fire, and the whole side of the house caught fire. We called 9-1-1,” said Tabitha Bledsoe, who lives next door.
At one point, firefighters cut a hole in the roof to pour water on the interior of the house. A total of 17 Woodbine firefighters were on the scene to fight the fire, using five trucks — two tankers, two pumpers and a ladder truck. Among those who assisted at the scene were Whitley County EMS, Kentucky State Police and crews from Delta Natural Gas and KU (Kentucky Utilities) who turned off the gas and electricity.
Fire officials declared the structure a total loss. He added the owner had no insurance and will probably tear the wood and brick house down.
McVey’s mother, Goldie, quietly watched as firefighters began to wind down their work after the fire was under control after 4 p.m. She said her son works a third shift, and had been sleeping when he got up earlier that afternoon, before the fire.
“He’s pretty tore up. He had gone to get a pizza and came back and saw the smoke. He got some stuff out and the dogs are safe. We’re not sure what else can be salvaged yet. Thank God he wasn’t here. Just thankful he’s alive.”
While he and his bulldogs are safe, McVey said afterwards he wasn’t sure what they would do next.
“Right now, I’m just going to wing it and be positive. When one door closes, another one opens.”
Blaze likely started after man tried to get rat out of trap
By Jeff Noble / Staff Writer
Brian Martin, fifth from right, explains to the group about how things work at E & B Farms in East Bernstadt. Approximately 50 people took the Laurel County Kiwanis Farm/Industry Tour Thursday. E & B Farms specializes in Registered Black Angus cattle.
Fun on the Farm
Farming and industry — that’s part of the backbone and history of most areas of southeastern Kentucky.
- Fun on the Farm
- Local News
New design approved for Pleasant View Elementary
Pleasant View Elementary School got its new design approved during a special meeting of the Whitley County Board of Education Thursday.
Networking the region’s future
They say, “It pays to have connections, and to stay connected.” In the case of Leadership Tri-County, that saying is part of the bigger picture of identifying and nurturing potential leaders from the region now into leaders needed in the years ahead.
Officials set to launch Click It Or Ticket
Picture this: It’s a beautiful spring day, and you decide to take the family out of the house on a drive somewhere in the country.
Business interested in former Lion Uniform building
A current Williamsburg business is one step closer to opening bigger doors after Monday’s Williamsburg City Council meeting.
- New design approved for Pleasant View Elementary
- Local Sports
North Laurel's Kailin Yantz slides back into first during the Lady Jaguars' 5-2 loss to Somerset.
Jumpers stun North
Both North Laurel and Somerset struggled at the plate for six innings, but that didn’t mean the two teams weren’t going to provide some fireworks during the game’s final inning of play Thursday.
On the move
Mother Nature played a big role during the opening day of the Boys and Girls State Tennis Tournaments. She caused just enough havoc to put a major dent into Thursday’s first and second round schedules.
- Jumpers stun North
Disturbing trend of hyperbole in media, politics
There is a disturbing trend of absolute hyperbole on the part of news media and political speakers. What I’m talking about is the immediate use of top shelf words like “dictator,” “fascist,” “communist,” and this really has to stop.
- Disturbing trend of hyperbole in media, politics
Gone, but not forgotten
At 2 p.m. Thursday, the students, teachers and staff of Corbin Elementary School took time out to remember one of their own.
- Gone, but not forgotten
Corbin to host electronic recycling day
As technology changes, so does the hardware. That means older computers, televisions and other electronic equipment have to find their way out of your home or office, and into the waste bin.
- Corbin to host electronic recycling day